International Office
Telephone: 613-236-1393
Ext. 2200
Quick Links
Print Print this page

On-Campus guide


Living at the Saint Paul University residence

For information about rooms in the campus residence, visit the Saint Paul Residence website.

Off-campus accommodation

There are several types of off-campus housing available to students, including living alone in an apartment complex, sharing an apartment, or renting a room in a private house. It is very important to begin your search for off-campus housing as early as possible.

Click here to see the listings of available accommodations on our website.

Local newspapers such as the Ottawa Citizenthe Ottawa Sun and Le Droit also list housing notices in their classified sections.



Health Services

The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is compulsory and a condition of registration in your program. It is the responsibility of all students to ensure that they meet any outstanding conditions in order to maintain their admission to the University, including subscribing to the mandatory UHIP and paying the total amount of the subscription. For more information on UHIP, please visit or contact

International students have access to any family doctor in Ontario, as well as the University of Ottawa Health Services Clinic located at 100 Marie Curie, Suite 300, Third Floor, telephone 613-564-3950. The staff is familiar with the needs of international students, and will bill the plan administrator directly for all eligible UHIP expenses. Health Services Clinic staff includes full-time physicians and nurses; laboratory, x-ray, physiotherapy and pharmacy services are offered. Nutrition, stress and dietary counselling are also available. Specialized services include clinics for allergies, sport injuries and gynecology.

The University of Ottawa also has its own Campus Pharmacy, located on the main floor of the same building as the Health Clinic at 100 Marie Curie, telephone 613-563-4000.


In Canada, a 5% GST (Goods and Services Tax) and 8% PST (Provincial Sales Tax, which varies from province to province) is added to most consumer goods. Taxes are applicable in all stores, including grocery stores, restaurants, bars, clothing stores and drug marts. For example, an item on the shelf that costs $25 CDN will require payment of a total of CDN$28.25 (25 x 13% = $3.25 + $25).

For every year spent in Canada, international students can fill out a tax return in order to receive some tax payment back.


OC Transpo is Ottawa’s local bus service. Monthly bus passes and individual tickets are available at the OC Transpo desk at the Rideau Centre. Ottawa is also a great city for cycling, and taxis are readily available. For transportation out of Ottawa, please visit (train) or (bus).

Driving in Canada

In order to drive in Ontario (the province where Ottawa is situated), students must have a valid license from the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario. Students with a driving permit from their own country can drive in Ontario for 60 days after the date of arrival. We recommend that students also obtain an International Driver’s License from their home country. For further information, visit the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario website.

Academic matters

To obtain information about courses, or to register, you must contact the Academic Advisor of your Faculty.

Academic Advisors play an important part in academic life, in terms of discussing scheduling and curriculum, and also in ensuring that all faculty and program requirements are fulfilled. Advisors can provide help or information about program requirements, changes in courses, academic regulations, and any other academic success issues.

Official documents

Official documents such as transcripts, proof of registration, statement of studies, etc. can be provided by the Registrar’s Office, Room 165. 

Student Services

The Saint Paul University Student Association is a resource for students.

Student Academic Success Services (SASS) offers some services on the Saint Paul University Campus.

SASS is a free network of services and programs designed to give you the tools and information you need to succeed from your first day on campus until you receive your diploma and go out into the world to pursue your dreams. Delivered by professionals and fellow students who care about your success and your well-being, SASS programs and services complement your classroom learning and support you in achieving your academic and professional goals.

Canadian Holidays

  • New Year’s Day – January 1
  • Family Day – third Monday in February
  • Good Friday and Easter Monday
  • Victoria Day – third Monday in May (commemorates Queen Victoria)
  • Canada Day – July 1 (Canada’s birthday)
  • Ontario civic holiday – first Monday in August
  • Labour Day – first Monday in September (marks the end of summer)
  • Thanksgiving Day – second Monday in October
  • Remembrance Day – November 11 (a day to remember Canada’s war veterans)
  • Christmas Day – December 25