International Office
Telephone: 613-236-1393
Ext. 2200
Quick Links
Print Print this page

Obtaining a Study Permit/Visa

IMPORTANT NOTE: Students are responsible for obtaining all the legal documents pertaining to their studies at Saint Paul University. The University has no control over the decisions made by Citizenship and Immigration Canada, and therefore cannot be held responsible for a student’s failure to obtain the required documents.

Study Permit

Unless you are a permanent resident of Canada or a Canadian citizen, you must have a valid study permit to study and live in Canada. You must obtain a study permit while you are in your country, or the country where you reside legally. Canadian immigration laws do not allow you to make an initial application from within Canada. Contact the Canadian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission in your country to obtain your study permit.

Documents to provide for a Study Permit application

Study permit application guide and form

When you apply for your study permit, you must supply the following documents and the appropriate fees:

  • original offer of admission from Saint Paul University (“Documents for Embassies and Canadian Immigration Offices”)
  • proof of sufficient funds or a reliable source of such funds to cover the costs of tuition and living expenses for the first year (approximately $25,000 to $27,000 CDN)
  • a valid passport (it should not expire soon)
  • payment of the $125 CDN application fee (or the equivalent in your country)
  • medical examination (if required)
  • completed application form
  • other items as specified by the Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate in your country, or by your country’s laws and regulations

Once your application is accepted, the Canadian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission will provide you with a letter entitled “Letter of Introduction.”

  • You CANNOT leave for Canada without a “Letter of Introduction.”
  • You must give this letter to an immigration officer upon your arrival in Canada.
  • When you receive your study permit, it is very IMPORTANT to check that all the information is correct. If there are any errors, inform the immigration officer, who will make the required changes in the document.

Citizens of the United States, Greenland, and St. Pierre and Miquelon may obtain a study permit at the Canadian border upon entering, by providing the documentation listed above.

  • You will be allowed to renew your study permit from within Canada. Come to the International Office for information two months before your permit expires, or refer to Renewing my Study Permit and Visa.

Temporary Resident Visa (“Entry Visa”)

Depending on your country of citizenship, you may also need a Temporary Resident Visa (an “Entry Visa”) to enter Canada.

If you wish to leave Canada at some point during your studies, you may need an “Entry Visa”to re-enter the country. Please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Website for a list of the countries for which an entry visa is required. Please also check with the nearest Canadian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission.

Entry visas can be obtained from any Canadian Embassy or Consulate office outside Canada. You cannot apply for an entry visa from within Canada. Obtain an entry visa application. (external link)

Please verify whether your visa is a multiple entry visa or a single entry visa. A single entry visa allows you to enter Canada only once. We therefore recommend you apply for a multiple entry visa.

Travelling to the United States

If you travel to the United States from Canada, you do NOT need an entry visa to re-enter Canada, as long as your study permit is valid.

However, please note that you will require a U.S. visitor visa. You can schedule an appointment with a U.S. immigration officer directly online. We recommend that you make your appointment at least several weeks before your intended visit to the United States.