International Office
Telephone: 613-236-1393
Ext. 2200
Quick Links
Print Print this page

Working in Canada

International students are allowed to work on campus and off campus. Read the following for information on

 Working on Campus

To work on campus, international students must be registered full-time in a regular academic program and their study permit must be valid.

On-campus job search is available through the Human Resources Office website, under Work–Study Program. The Work–Study Program helps international students find a part-time job on campus during the academic year and a full-time job during the spring/summer session.

Working off Campus

Study permits also allow you to take jobs that are off campus. Conditions apply. See new regulations:

Post-Graduation Work Permit

The Post-Graduation Employment Program was created for international students who have completed a program of study of eight months or more and have been granted an undergraduate or graduate degree in Canada.

How to apply for a post-graduation work permit: 

Getting a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Students who find a job on campus must apply for a social insurance number (SIN) before starting work. Apply for a social insurance number at City Hall:

Service Canada Centre

Ottawa City Hall
110 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, Ontario
K1P 1J1
Tel: 613-580-2400

You must present your passport, study permit and employment contract when you apply.