International - FAQ International - FAQ

Tuition fees for international students

1- What are the tuition fees for international students?
Tuition fees for international students vary depending on whether you are an undergraduate or a graduate student and whether you are studying in French or in English.

2- What are the admission requirements for international students?

  • Undergraduate studies
    You must have a diploma certifying 12 years of education that is recognized by Saint Paul University.
  • Graduate studies
    You must have an honours B.A. (4 years) or equivalent, and have obtained an average of at least 70% (B).
  • If you are a doctoral candidate, you must have a master’s degree (with thesis or dissertation) and have obtained an average of at least 75% (B+).
  • Program requirements
    Some programs have special requirements. Check under the Admissions section on the Programs of Study page.

Language requirements

1- What are the language requirements for an international student?
You must prove that you are proficient in French or English by providing the official results in French or in English of a recognized language proficiency test.

The test is mandatory unless you have studied full-time for at least three years in an institution where French or English is the only language of instruction and in a country where French or English is one of the official languages.

Deadlines for international applications

1- What are the deadlines for applications for international students?

Check the admission deadlines

Ways to pay tuition fees from outside Canada

1- How can fees be paid from countries outside Canada?
If you must pay your tuition or admission fees from a foreign country, you can do so by bank transfer.

Scholarships for international students

1- Are scholarships offered to international students?
Yes. International students are eligible for the following scholarships:

2- How can I take advantage of the “Studying in French” scholarship?
To take advantage of this scholarship, you must be accepted into a program of study that is offered in French. Receipt of the scholarship will be confirmed in your admission letter.

Study permits

1- Can I apply without a study permit?
Yes, because you must first be accepted by Saint Paul University before applying for a study permit.

2- How can I obtain a study permit?
You must apply to the Ministry of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, which is responsible for issuing study permits.

3- Do I have to get a study permit?
Yes, you must have a study permit issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to study in Canada.

4- What happens if my study permit doesn’t arrive in time?
You will have to reapply for next term or at your convenience.

5- Is it possible to expedite the process to obtain a study permit?

This process is administered independently by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. Saint Paul University cannot interfere in the process. Once you have received your admission letter, you can begin the process of requesting a study permit.

6- Is a study permit the same thing as a student visa?
No. The study permit is not a visa and on its own does not give the right to enter Canada.

7- When must I apply for a study permit?
When you receive your admission letter from Saint Paul University, you must immediately begin the process of obtaining a study permit.


1- As an international student, where can I find housing?
Depending on your preferences, you can live on campus or off campus.

  • On campus
    The student residence is located less than a two-minute walk from Saint Paul University.

  • Off campus
    Saint Paul University does not formally help in finding off-campus housing. That said, if you're looking for housing around campus, you might consider staying in one of the following neighbourhoods: Old Ottawa East, Sandy Hill, Overbrook, Centretown, the Glebe. Among other platforms, you can search for accommodation on Facebook Marketplace, Kijiji or the University of Ottawa's web page.

  • Temporary housing
    The Ottawa Tourism and Tourisme Outaouais websites offer information on temporary housing.

Study and work

Can international students study while working?
It is possible, as far as your studies allow, to work off campus or on campus. However, you must respect the conditions of your study permit.