Alumni and Development Office
Telephone: 613-236-1393
Ext. 2539
Quick Links
Print Print this page

Giving FAQs

Can I make a donation online?

Yes, click here.

What is the easiest way to give?

If you have made the decision to give to Saint Paul University, making a donation by cash, cheque, Visa, Mastercard or American Express is a convenient route.

We do not recommend sending cash through the mail. Cash donations may be dropped off at the following location:

Laframboise Pavillion, Room 169 or 165

Saint Paul University
Alumni and Development Office
223 Main Street
Ottawa, ON

To facilitate a donation by cheque or credit card, please feel free to print our donation form. Completed forms can be faxed to 613-782-3033 or mailed to

Saint Paul University
Alumni and Development Office
223 Main Street
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1S 1C4

Do you have an automatic monthly giving program?

Yes, more and more supporters appreciate the convenience of monthly giving and knowing that their support throughout the year helps us in our planning. You can make automatic monthly pledges online, calling Saint Paul toll free 800-637-6859, or 613 236-1493 ext 2539, or click here for our printable form.

How else can I make a gift to Saint Paul University?

Saint Paul University offers great flexibility in the ways you can choose to donate. Simply select a link below to be directed to more information.

Gifts of Stocks, Bonds, or Mutual Funds

Gifts of Real Estate, Books, Manuscripts and Art

Planned Giving, such as bequests, life insurance, retirement funds, and more

Can I make a pledge over a number of months or years?

Absolutely! Saint Paul University would be pleased to accept a gift with payments spread over up to five years in monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, or annual payments. Monthly donations can be accommodated only if you choose to donate by credit card or pre-authorized chequing. One receipt will be issued at year-end, rather than one per installment.

Will I receive a receipt for my gift/pledge to Saint Paul University?

Official gift receipts are issued for all contributions — there is no minimum donation cut-off. The receipting process for one-time donations generally takes approximately two weeks. For pledges (gifts with multiple installments) made by credit card or pre-authorized chequing, one receipt will be issued at year-end, rather than one per installment.

What are the tax benefits of my gift?

(Applicable to Canadian tax filers only.) In general, individual donors will receive a federal tax credit equal to 17% of the first $200 you give to registered charities in a taxation year. You will also receive a tax credit equal to 29% for donation amounts that exceed that $200. In addition, provincial tax credits also apply.

What is Saint Paul University's Charitable Registration Number?

Our number is: 10816 1282 RR 0001

Where can I direct my gift?

You can direct your gift to the area that means the most to you. This could be a faculty, a centre, a department, the Library or a scholarship or bursary fund.

How do I learn about the priority projects of Saint Paul University and my Faculty?

Please contact André Beaudry at the Alumni and Development office to discuss priority projects.

613-236-1393, ext 2534
toll free 1-800-637-6859

How are gifts to Saint Paul University's Greatest Needs used?

Gifts to Saint Paul University's Greatest Needs do not have a restriction on their use. These gifts offer the University the flexibility to respond to exciting opportunities and emerging needs. A gift to Greatest Needs is one of the most significant ways your contribution can make an impact.

What difference does my donation make?

With the ongoing support of our alumni, friends, faculty and staff, we were able to provide more than 450 students with scholarships and financial assistance; provide books and other resources for the library; establish a number of new named endowment funds for scholarships and bursaries; and sustain new programs in areas such as Conflict Studies, Public Ethics, Interreligious Dialogue, and First Nations Studies.

Who is calling me on behalf of Saint Paul University?

Staff from the Alumni and Development Office regularly call donors simply to say thank you for their support. Calls are also a wonderful way to provide an opportunity to recall time spent at Saint Paul University and/or provide up-to-date information about the University.

Will my company match my gift to Saint Paul University?

More than 500 companies Canada-wide match gifts made by employees and retirees to their alma mater. Please check with your HR or Personnel Department to find out if your employer has a matching gift program. Then all you have to do is fill out a matching gift claim form and mail it to us along with your donation. To find out more about this great program, please visit our Matching Gifts page.

I reside in the United States. Can I make a donation to Saint Paul University?

Absolutely! Alumni and immediate family members can donate directly to Saint Paul University and receive a tax receipt eligible for use on your United States tax return. In addition, non-alumni and corporations can receive eligible tax receipts, as Saint Paul University acquired tax exempt status from Federal income tax under section 501(a) of the Internal Revenue Code as an organization described in section 501©) (3). A copy of our letter of determination, dated December 14, 1998, is available upon request.

I live overseas. Can I make a gift?

Certainly! Saint Paul University accepts donations from around the world. For more information on how to make your gift, click here.

What is the Société 1848 Society?

The Société 1848 Society is designed to recognize and honour those who have made provisions for a future gift to Saint Paul University through a bequest, gift of life insurance, annuity or other trust arrangement. Why 1848? It marks the year in which Bishop Joseph-Eugène-Bruno Guigues, O.M.I., founded the College of Bytown and entrusted its direction to the Oblates of Mary Immaculate. Click here for more information about the Société 1848 Society.

How can I give in my will?

We will be happy to provide you with all of the information you need. Please click here, where you can read more about Bequests.

What is the difference between a scholarship and a bursary?

A scholarship is based on academic merit, while a bursary is intended for students who demonstrate financial need. Both can be referred to as awards.

Can I set up a scholarship or bursary in my name, or that of a loved one?

Indeed, although there are minimum required donations for creating new scholarships and bursaries. If you would like to investigate this option, staff at the Alumni and Development Office would be pleased to discuss the opportunities available to you. General information on scholarships and bursaries is available by clicking here or by sending an e-mail to

Can I use my spouse's tax receipt on my tax return?

If you and your spouse are filing your tax returns, you can use either of your tax receipts, no matter the name on the receipt itself. It is best to consult with your accountant to ensure the best return on your and your spouse's tax receipts.

Can I designate some of my RRSPs to the University as a gift?

Naming the University as primary, partial or contingent beneficiary of your retirement plan while at the same time reaping tax benefits is easier than ever. If you would like to learn more about making a gift of RRSPs/RRIFs to Saint Paul University, please contact André Beaudry, Alumni and Development Office.