Philosophy and Theology (Joint Honours Bachelor of Arts)Download the program description (PDF)
Philosophy is an intellectual activity and an academic discipline that investigates, interprets and reflects on the fundamental nature of the world and human existence. Theology is the study of the nature of God and religious belief based on Catholic writings and tradition.
By combining these related disciplines, the Philosophy and Theology undergraduate program encourages students to develop a critical approach to the problems and challenges facing modern society while upholding and respecting the Catholic intellectual tradition.
The Faculty of Theology offers civil and ecclesiastical programs suitable as a preparation both for various ministries and for graduate research in philosophy and theology. This double major prepares the student for graduate studies in these two disciplines.
In addition to the foundational courses,* the Philosophy and Theology undergraduate program provides students with a basic knowledge of both disciplines through courses in theology, philosophy and ethics. Students are also given an opportunity to explore specific subjects in greater depth.
*The foundational courses are a compulsory part of every bachelor’s degree program offered at Saint Paul University.
What you’ll learn
During your studies you will acquire a solid basic knowledge of theology and philosophy and the links between these two disciplines.
You will also learn to explain and integrate the interconnections between theology, philosophy and other disciplines.
Why choose Saint Paul University?
- For its small class sizes and close student-teacher ratio
- For its safe, secure and friendly campus with personalized services
- For its bilingual setting in the heart of the national capital
- For its diverse student population and international vision
- For its solid reputation, experience, history and Catholic tradition
- Aboriginal affairs officer
- Attendant for the elderly
- Community or not-for-profit organization worker
- Development officer
- Ethics advisor in the private and public sector
- Journalist who specializes in this area
- Liaison officer for immigrant settlement
- Ordained minister
- Pastoral agent in a school, hospital or prison setting
- Pastoral associate
- Policy analyst
- Policy officer
- Press secretary
- Public programs officer
- Youth development worker
- Youth minister
- Youth services worker
Click here to find out more about Admission Scholarships at Saint Paul University.
Other programs that may interest you
- Public Ethics (Honours Bachelor of Arts with Specialization)
- Ethics (Theology) (Honours Bachelor of Arts with Major)
- Theology (Honours Bachelor of Arts with Major)
- Theology (B.Th.) (Honours Bachelor)
- Theology - Anglican Studies (B.Th.) (Honours Bachelor)
- Theology - Eastern Christian Studies (B.Th.) (Honours Bachelor)