Pastoral TheologyDownload the program description (PDF)
Master of Pastoral Theology
The MPTh is a 30-credit program composed of the following elements:
Six academic courses (18 credits):
three foundational courses (9 credits):
- THO5301 PASTORAL THEOLOGY (3cr.)
- IPA5321 PASTORAL MINISTRY AND PSYCHOLOGY (3cr.)
- IPA5322 PASTORAL MINISTRY AND SOCIOLOGY (3cr.)
two courses (6 credits) to be chosen from:
- THO5302 CATECHETICAL PASTORAL THEOLOGY (3cr.)
- THO5303 LITURGICAL PASTORAL THEOLOGY (3cr.)
- DCA5310 CHURCH LAW AND PASTORAL MINISTRY (3cr.)
- THO5304 CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY IN ITS SOCIAL DIMENSION (3cr.)
- THO5305 CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY AND ITS DEVELOPMENT (3cr.)
one elective (3 credits) to be chosen from:
- the previous list
- THO5307 STUDIES IN PASTORAL PRACTICE I (3cr.) or THO5308 STUDIES IN PASTORAL PRACTICE II (3cr.)
- any other course which, in the judgment of the Faculty, fulfils the objectives of the program.
Students may propose any course which they consider relevant to their particular future ministry. Given the present context of the Church, the following areas are particularly suggested: spiritual direction, basic counselling skills, ecumenical ministry, mission and new evangelization.
Two practicums (12 crédits):
- IPA5481 PROFESSIONAL MINISTRY PRACTICUM I (6cr.)
- IPA5482 PROFESSIONAL MINISTRY PRACTICUM II(6cr.)
Duration of the Program
Students are expected to fulfill all requirements within two years. The maximum time permitted is four years from the date of initial registration in the program.
The passing grade in all courses is C+. Students who fail two courses (equivalent to 6 credits) must withdraw from the program.