Renewing a Study Permit
It is extremely important to send the application to extend or change the conditions of a study permit two to three months before its expiry date.
Documents to provide for renewal of study permit
Application Kit for Renewal or Change of Conditionshttp://www.cic.gc.ca/francais/information/demandes/sejour-etudiant.asp(print, read and complete the guide,the form and the list of documents)
When applying for a study permit, you must supply the following documents and the appropriate fees with the application form:
- Photocopies of a valid passport (do not send the actual passport)
- Photocopies of current valid immigration documents
- Proof of registration at Saint Paul University
- Proof of sufficient funds to cover all expenses while in Canada (bank statements)
- Transcripts of the last two previous academic sessions
- Application fee of CDN$125
NOTE: you must use the IMM 5401 receipt to pay at any financial institution.
- Pick up an information sheet on the renewal of a study permit at the International Office at the University of Ottawa.
Temporary Resident Visa (“Entry Visa”)
Depending on the country of citizenship, students may also need a Temporary Resident Visa (otherwise known as an “Entry Visa”) to enter Canada.
Students who wish to leave Canada and then re-enter may need an “entry visa.” Please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website for a list of the countries for which a visa is required. Entry visas can be obtained from any Canadian Embassy or Consulate office outside Canada. Application cannot be made from within Canada.
Required documents for Temporary Resident Visa
For Citizenship and Immigration Canada concerns, or to check the status of your study permit, contact 1-888-242-2100.
- Pick up an information sheet from the International Office on how to apply for an Entry Visa, or make an appointment to see an advisor.
- Express post is the quickest and safest way to send permit and visa applications.
Citizenship and Immigration Canada does not accept personal cheques or cash. You must pay by bank draft or money order made out to: ConsulateGeneralof Canada.
You must send the completed application and all required documents to:
3000 HSBC Center
Buffalo, New York
For all questions about Citizenship and Immigration Canada (http://www.cic.gc.ca/) or totrack the progress of your file, you can call 1-888-242-2100 free of charge from anywhere in Canada.
Werecommend that you send the application to renew your study permit or your temporary resident visaby Canada Post’sguaranteedpriority courier service, which issues a tracking number for eachitem you send. This allows you to trace any package or envelope directly on the Canada Post website.
Travelling to the United States
Students travelling to the United States from Canada do NOT require an entry visa to re-enter Canada, as long as their study permit is valid.
However, please note that a U.S. visitor visa is required. You may schedule an appointment(http://usvisa-info.com/en-CA/selfservice/ss_country_welcome) directly online with a U.S. immigration officer at the American Embassy in Ottawa. We recommend that an appointment be scheduled at least several weeks before your intended visit to the United States.