Saint Paul University’s Alumnus of the Year
November 7, 2013, at 6 p.m.
Each year, Saint Paul University organizes an evening to recognize the outstanding commitment of one of our alumni to his or her community. This year, the University will honour Mr. Gil Rémillard.
This annual event also seeks to raise funds for a new endowment fund that will be created in his honour. Gil Rémillard, who has dyslexia himself, supports various organizations that help children with learning disabilities. As well, his wife, Marie DuPont, who is Chair of the Board of Directors of the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec, is also a B.Ph. graduate of Saint Paul University. Thus, an endowment fund on behalf of Gil and Marie Rémillard will be dedicated to the Centre for Academic Success of Saint Paul University.
Gil Rémillard was born in Hull. He has degrees in philosophy, political science and law from the University of Ottawa, and he completed his studies with a doctorate in law in France and Great Britain. He has worked as a university professor, in private law practice and in politics.
After teaching constitutional and administrative law at the Université Laval law faculty and practising law, Gil Rémillard was elected member for Jean-Talon (in Quebec City) of the Quebec government in 1985. During his time as member, he served as Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, Minister of International Relations, Minister of Public Safety and Minister of Justice. As Minister of Justice, he presided over the completion of the new Civil Code of Quebec, which has been in effect since January 1, 1994.
Gil Rémillard left politics in January 1994. He became a professor at the University of Public Administration (ENAP) and legal counsel for the law firm Dentons Canada LLP. In 1995, he founded the International Economic Forum of the Americas, which each year organizes the Conference of Montreal in June, the Toronto Global Forum in October, and the Palm Beach Strategic Forum in April. He is also president and publisher of the economics journal FORCES. Gil Rémillard is the author of a number of books and articles, including the two-volume Le Fédéralisme canadien. He is a member of several Boards of Directors, including the Institute for Canadian Citizenship.
He is married to Marie DuPont and has a son, Nicholas-Philippe.
Awards and honours
- Doctor honoris causa, Université d’Aix, Marseille
- Barreau du Québec Medal (1994)
- Order of Canada (2001)
- Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal (2002)
- Ordre national du Québec (2004)
- Chevalier de la Légion d’honneur de la République française (2004)
- Lawyer Emeritus, Barreau du Québec (2007)
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal (2013)
- Le prix Samuel de Champlain de l’Institut France-Québec (2013)
Past Alumni of the Year
- 2012: Françoise, Gilles et Isabelle Lagacé,Philosophie, Théologie, Missiologie et Communications
- 2011: Mgr André Drouin, p.h., B.Th. 58, M. en pastorale (sciences familiales) 79
- 2010: Rev. Isaac-C. Martinez-Chuquizana, M.S.A., M.A. in Mission Studies (93)
- 2009: Elisabeth Jeannine Lacelle M.Th. (67), S.T.L. (67)
- 2008: Francis Cardinal George, O.M.I., M.A.(Th.) 71 Archbishop of Chicago
- 2007: Alain Gourd, B.Ph. 66, M.A. (Ph.) Université d’Ottawa/Université Saint-Paul, 68
- 2006: The Reverend Michelle Staples, Captain, the Canadian Armed Forces, B.Th. (Anglican Studies) 95, M.A. (Th. – Systematic and Historical Theology) 96
- 2005: Mgr Roger Ébacher, L. Th. 61
- 2004: Michel Brazeau, B.Th. 87
- 2003: Sœur Marie-Paule Couturier, f.m.a., M.D.C. 91, L.D.C. 91
- 2002: Mgr Patrick Powers, P.H., B.Th. 87
- 2001: Kirby Kranabetter, M.A. (Past.St. - Pastoral Care in Health Care Services) 93
- 2000: Pierre Bergeron, B.Th. 70
- 1999: Sr. Helen Prejean, CSJ, M.R.E. 73
- 1998: R.P. Roger Guindon, o.m.i., L.Ph. 43, B.Th. 45, Ph.D. Th. 54
- 1997: Mgr Vernon James Weisgerber, B.A.Ph. 58, L.Ph. 59
- 1996: Sœur Monique Picard, s.g.m., Cert. Th.94
- 1995: Madame Frances Boire-Carrière, B.Th. 74, L.Th. 76
- 1994: R.P. Jean Monbourquette, o.m.i., B.Th. 57, L.Th. 59
- 1993: Fr. Réjean Gadouas, o.m.i.,